For this author, creative endeavors have been sorely tested by motherhood. But also transformed, and in ways she wouldn’t have imagined – couldn’t have, without her life “rewritten” as it has been, by her children. So linger here, to read all things weaverly, writerly and motherly.

like

Tweet button

Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Taking the Tapestry off the Loom

I took it off the loom this morning. I probably should have let it "rest," but I went ahead and blocked it. One of the hardest things to master in tapestry weaving is straight selvedges (the side edges). I was doing pretty well until I introduced some non-wool yarn, a synthetic ribbon. Traditionally, wool is used in tapestry, and is the best bet; if selvedges aren't finally straight, you can rely on some shrinkage.

Here is how the tapestry looked right off the loom. You can see in the upper left corner where it starts to go in, and that's where I introduced the ribbon (also on the right side). I'm always experimenting with new fibers, especially synthetics, as they can add a lot of interest. But that added interest can come at a cost!


The next step is to pin the tapestry so that the selvedges are even – which means allowing for that shrinkage, by pinning the edges closest to the narrowest width:

The next step is the actual blocking. I use a wet cloth, and put the iron on the hottest setting. In the places where I have to allow for the most shrinkage, I hold the iron in place for a few minutes:



After blocking, it's looking like this:


As it dries, hopefully some of the lumpier uneven areas will shrink a bit. Stay tuned!


1 comment:

ArtMuse Dog and Carol said...

Love it ~ it sooooo creative ^_^ ~ Colors are great !

Popular Posts

Lightning Bug

onestop blog

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/WordNerdSpeaks/OSBW7.jpg