For this author, creative endeavors have been sorely tested by motherhood. But also transformed, and in ways she wouldn’t have imagined – couldn’t have, without her life “rewritten” as it has been, by her children. So linger here, to read all things weaverly, writerly and motherly.

like

Tweet button

Follow me on Twitter!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Wake

I’m not good with dead people.

My first wake was for my 24-year-old cousin eight years ago, who died in a car accident. His mother had chosen a bright blue shirt for him, because she said he’d always looked so good in blue – not when you’re dead. When your made-up face hardly reflects natural skin tones, and your eyes have been shut so their blue can’t complement the shirt. The only part of him that seemed real was a bruised nail, as if he’d caught his finger in a door.

My cousin’s hands were folded peacefully. But he wasn’t peaceful. They’d had a hard time wiping the grimace off his face, a hint of the sharp pain perhaps he’d experienced just as his aorta burst when he was thrown against the steering wheel.

His devastated father had wanted me to go up and touch his body.  Not something I wanted to do. His arm felt like a log. Rather, a freshly cut branch, the kind that might still show green inside.

The wake this past weekend for my husband’s best friend was only my second wake. In my family, we’ve never had open caskets. When my father died, he was cremated, and his little urn sat at the alter during the memorial service, draped finely in a simple white cloth. Then the little urn was dropped into a small hole in the ground, in a cemetery famous for being so large and meandering, even with a map no one is ever able to navigate their way back to their loved ones again.

My husband is more used to dead people. He was shocked to hear this was only my second wake.

“Just burn me,” I told him. I didn’t want to rot underground, wind up as a pile of bones tangled up in what might have been my best dress.

My husband’s friend looked far more peaceful than my cousin had. And healthier than he had in life; his face was painted a peachy tint. He looked exactly like a mannequin, a perfect wax rendition fit for a museum display. They’d even put back on his glasses as if he'd fallen asleep reading. But beneath those lids, those eyes I imagined were staring dumbfounded at what was happening to him when the embolism struck and he dropped to the floor. I looked for some part of him that was real, like my cousin’s bruised thumb. Ted’s ears. They were distinct, long and finely shaped.

Actually, it’s not dead people I don’t like. It’s the dead bodies. Rather, the dead bodies painted and dressed up to look alive and well, as if we’re stupid and can really be convinced that they are sleeping peacefully. When what we’re really left with is just that, a stiff waxed mannequin that has nothing at all to do with what is, was, real.

So to clear my head of the waxed image of Ted, I pulled out our wedding album today. I needed to see one of my favorite pictures of him, in the limo toasting us with a glass of champagne.

And then there’s my other favorite, of him holding our first born when he visited at the hospital: he cradles Ryan a bit awkwardly, as Ted was single and not particularly used to children. His smile is one of amusement, as if Ryan were a ferret or some other unusual pet. Ted was always funny, and I can’t remember what he said at the time, but I’m sure in all my post-delivery exhaustion, that he he'd been able to make me laugh.




9 comments:

Brenda said...

I find it difficult to attend wakes, funerals and the like for the reasons you stated. I would much rather remember the person vibrant and full of life instead of what they become once the undertaker is finished with them,while I do understand it is to show respect for the deceased and their families to attend wakes, I would rather sign the condolence book online and then visit the family at a later date. Found your blog on the Wed hop and look forward to reading more of your posts. Have a great week!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

We had a open casket for my father inlaw. I kept JDaniel away from it. I think think it would have scared him and I don't like looking either.

Melissa said...

I am your newest follow from the Terrific Thursday Blog Hop! Please come visit me at http://www.winforfun.blogspot.com

Peace Love & Poop said...

This post brought back painful memories, but good ones. Thank you for that. I too am not one to like attending wakes.

New blog follower! Come follow back and enter my great giveaways! http://www.peacelovepoop.com

Wylie said...

This is beautiful, Sandy. Your writing is so clear and detailed. You pull your readers into the scene with you.

Sandra's Fiberworks said...

Thanks, Wylie. It's helping me to work through it. Now I'm working on a blog about heaven...:))

AmberFaith said...

Hello! Newest follower from the Terrific Thursday blog hop! Would love for you to stop by and follow back, whenever you get a chance. Have a great week! (:

Amber
http://beautifullybellafaith.blogspot.com

Grandma Bonnie said...

Beautiful writing. I can't say I like wakes but I have been to way too many in my life. We had a large close knit
family. So everyone is expected to attend if at all possible.
New follower from the Terrific Thursday Hop.
Hope you follow back.
http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

tawna6988 said...

I just wanted to stop by, since I haven't it awhile, and invite you to my weekend hop open tonight thru Sunday. I hope you will come by and link up! If not, I hope you have a great weekend!
Tawna
http://tawnasplan.com

Popular Posts

Lightning Bug

onestop blog

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/WordNerdSpeaks/OSBW7.jpg