For this author, creative endeavors have been sorely tested by motherhood. But also transformed, and in ways she wouldn’t have imagined – couldn’t have, without her life “rewritten” as it has been, by her children. So linger here, to read all things weaverly, writerly and motherly.

like

Tweet button

Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Easter Bunny Real or Not so Real

About the Easter Bunny: "It's big and pink, and of course it's real," said younger brother Kenny.

"How do you know, you've never seen it?" Ryan countered over his bowl of buttered ronis.

"And you've never seen your pet dragons. They're invisible. So...maybe the Easter Bunny is too – you just can't see him."

We'd had similar discussions around the dinner table; the last one about the existence of tooth fairies.

Ryan was quiet a moment, chewing with his mouth open in that way I hate, but thought it would go over well, at the moment, to tell him to shut his mouth.

"I think it's Mom who writes those notes," he said.

"Shut your mouth when you're chewing."

The notes are carefully scrawled on tiny bits of paper to identify their Easter baskets. A scrawl I carefully try to disguise as not my own.

Ryan is eight. I don't remember how old I was when I stopped believing in the fantastical of Easter Bunnies, Santa, and tooth fairies. But I don't remember wanting to disprove their existence, either.

So I asked him, " Why do you want to not believe?"

Kenny too, looked at him. Waiting for a poignant answer.

We didn't get one.

Ryan started to cry. He ran up to his room and slammed his door.

When he was younger, Ryan was adept at lying. At stealing loose change off Daddy's desk and making up wild stories about how it had just "appeared" in his pockets. Like the Batman toggles he'd steal from the bins at Stride Rite.

And every time he stole, I would give him the speech about how not only shouldn't we steal, but we should never lie.

At the risk of having to tell him the truth now, about my own lying about Santa, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny, I didn't follow him upstairs – didn't want him to have his doubts about the fantastical. Not yet. Not before life would have to become all too real, too soon, anyway. As it already had, with lonely moments on the school playground and cruel comments other children can make too naturally.

Kenny picked thoughtfully at his ronis. "Well, if the Easter Bunny isn't pink, he at least has to be very big to carry all those baskets. I mean, It's not like he has a sleigh...."


 

 

 

14 comments:

Barbra said...

LOVE the sleigh thought!

Jenn said...

Ha Ha-- kids are so brilliant!! I really got a kick out of this one :D

Cheers, Jenn
http://www.wine-n-chat.com

Amy Morgan said...

Oour son hit us up for the truth in the middle of summer as we were driving in the car and started with, "You told me you'd never lie to me right? Is there a Santa Claus?" Killer. Then after that discussion, on the way home form the back seat comes, "So I guess there's no Easter Bunny either?" More killer, He's 23 now,but has yet to ask about the tooth fairy! I don't blame you for not heading upstairs to talk with him!

Annalisa Crawford said...

My 12 year old had to have a tooth taken out the other day. I made him tell me he still believed in the tooth fairy before he got his money!

He's clever though, he won't tell me he doesn't believe in Santa - he doesn't want to miss out on his presents!

Lynn Proctor said...

kids love to believe don't they!

Paula Martin said...

What? You mean there is no Easter Bunny? Oh noooooo!

DL Hammons said...

We've always told our children that believing or non-believing is their choice...but kids who believe always seem to receive more presents! :)

DL Hammons @ Cruising Altitude 2.0
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

SherryE said...

My kids don't believe in the Easter bunny. But I do!

Kathy said...

Kids are so smart, but it is fun to believe. Even though they are pretty sure there is no bunny, why dispel the myth and the fun?
Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

KarenG said...

Very cute! Reminded me of a few conversations around our home.

Nice to meet you and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

KarenG
A to Z Challenge Host

Nicole said...

As kids, my brother and I had elaborate plans to catch Santa, the Easter Bunny, Leprechauns for St. Paddy's, you name it. :) Gotta love it!

Abracadebra Designs said...

Of course the Easter Bunny is real. His name is Peter Cotton Tail and there is even a song about him ;)
-Debbie

November Rain - k~ said...

You have a way of telling your stories that always catches my attention.

I told my son the truth about all of those critters you mentioned, and he's still got a great imagination :-)

Nikki said...

So sweet. It's such a sad moment for children when their fantasy world and beliefs start to lose their magic. I hope at least he will keep his wonderful imagination as he grows :)

Nikki – inspire nordic

Popular Posts

Lightning Bug

onestop blog

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/WordNerdSpeaks/OSBW7.jpg