For this author, creative endeavors have been sorely tested by motherhood. But also transformed, and in ways she wouldn’t have imagined – couldn’t have, without her life “rewritten” as it has been, by her children. So linger here, to read all things weaverly, writerly and motherly.

like

Tweet button

Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sandra's Writing Workshop Hop

Having for years taught fiction writing, I'm missing sitting around some oblong table hashing out scene and character issues over dog-eared manuscripts and cold cups of coffee. So let's see if we can make this work, a workshop hop!

Meant to be informal but constructive. Open to all who write or would like to try their hand at writing fiction.

Weekly, I'll offer writing prompts, some inspirational, but mostly ones to help you focus better on the editorial and control of voice, etc. Remember, these are just offerings.

The first prompt is to write in the close first person

John Updike's short story "A & P" is a great example of writing from this close "I" colloquial point of view; it is in the spoken tone here, that we come to know this character is a teenager:

"In walks these three girls in nothing but bathing suits. I'm in the third check-out slot, with my back to the door, so I don't see them until they're over by the bread. The one that caught my eye first was the one in the plaid green two-piece. She was a chunky kid, with a good tan and a sweet broad soft-looking can with those two crescents of white just under it, where the sun never seems to hit, at the top of the backs of her legs. I stood there with my hand on a box of HiHo crackers trying to remember if I rang it up or not. I ring it up again and the customer starts giving me hell. She's one of these cash-register-watchers, a witch about fifty with rouge on her cheekbones and no eyebrows, and I knowit made her day to trip me up. She'd been watching cash registers forty years and probably never seen a mistake before."

Rules:

1). Comment on at least three other posts.

2). Preface your post with "Sandra's Writers Workshop Hop" linked back to my blog. Yes, to advertise Moi, but also to clarify your post is up to be "workshopped." Which means to be commented on thoughtfully, with an eye and ear to character, scene and point of view. Or whatever just strikes you about the "manuscript."

3). Return each Friday for the next prompt, and post by the following Weds

4). Tweet and Facebook the workshop if you can (pretty please)

5). I'll get around to all your posts you if you bring the cyber (hot! ) coffee! I'm leaving this one up for a bit as I had to repost.

 

 

Come back to grab my button – I had to take it down as it's not working:( but will tinker with it. It looks nice though, right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

Kelly Garriott Waite said...

looking forward to trying this! Are you on Twitter? kgwaite
http://writinginthemarginsburstingattheseams.blogspot.com/

Libby said...

I should have commented earlier! I am trying to get the word out on this via Twitter...

laila said...

Hi..I've been debating for the past couple of days whether to put up my short story or not.It's my first attempt at story writing and I'm nervous.Finally I have decided to post it as I need constructive criticism to improve...thanks.

Megan Wille said...

I'm getting ready for work right now but definitely going to come back tonight and work on this prompt :) Can you clarify what "close first person" is? Is it just something written first person view? My perspective? I've never been really good at all the lingo. email me at mjwauthor11@gmail.com

November Rain - k~ said...

I will definitely be joining in this fun... :-)

Your Doctor's Wife said...

Hmm... I've tried commenting on "Second Thoughts" blog and can't get the comment box to appear. I noticed she has no comments. Is everyone else running into this problem?
Rats.

laila said...

Thank you for informing me that my comment box is not working.I checked it out and it seems that comment boxes are not working for the static pages in blogger.I've shifted my post to my main blog now..sorry for the inconvenience.I was not sure how my story has turned out as it is my first attempt and that's why,I kept it away from my main blog!:)

Journey of Life said...

I still have up until 11:59 pm to post mine right? Meanwhile, I have posted my girl's one. This is one of her write up when she was in 6th grade. (She is 7th grader now)

Journey of Life said...

Sandra, would you mind removing my daughter's link. She thinks that she needs to touch it up a bit before posting it here. Thank you and sorry for the trouble.

Take care,
Angela

Jeanette Andersen said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. : }

Suzy said...

Thought I would give it a shot so have linked up.

Journey of Life said...

My girl is ready ..so I am posting her back :-0 Please give her any feedback --Be gentle on her first try so she would come back, after all she is only 13 :-)

ElaineLK said...

Okay, I've posted. I hope this is the right way to do it!

Journey of Life said...

Finally. I made it!

Jewels said...

This was very hard for me. I don't write in first person. But, I did it. Hopefully, it'll help me develop my skills.
Thanks so much for doing this.

Journey of Life said...

Finally one more to go and I am done making my round with all of the writers. Thanks Sandra for hosting this and let me tasted the fiction writing as well as giving me an opportunity to get to know other writers.

Popular Posts

Lightning Bug

onestop blog

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/WordNerdSpeaks/OSBW7.jpg