For this author, creative endeavors have been sorely tested by motherhood. But also transformed, and in ways she wouldn’t have imagined – couldn’t have, without her life “rewritten” as it has been, by her children. So linger here, to read all things weaverly, writerly and motherly.

like

Tweet button

Follow me on Twitter!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Workshop Guest Post: Julie Jordan Scott from Julie Unplugged

This week, my Writing Workshop Hop prompt was to write in the "close" first person point of view. All the points of view are worthy reads – You'll find some rich writing linked up here!

Not all are the "close" first person, which doesn't matter a hoot. The key is to keep your voice consistent, whatever point of view you choose. Julie does happen to nail the "close" part; she succeeds in establishing a colloquial – the spoken – voice. The reader can hear this narrator speaking, her actual tone. At the same time, Julie doesn't neglect those descriptive details that make this moment visual and immediate for the reader:

I don’t know how I get myself into these crazy schemes with Lisa and her life coach friend, Candy. The last thing I want to do is invest an afternoon hearing little miss chirpy talk about how to create a wonderful life when I should be working on my novel .

Yes, the hair on my arms is standing up at the thought of listening to Candy’s drivel and the need to smile into the hopeful eyes of Lisa, who is chronically concerned with my lack of motivation.

It’s easy for Lisa to say. She has been in love with Frank since she was twenty years old. I introduced them, for God’s sake. She doesn’t know what it feels like to wake up in an unhappy marriage for the last ten years because you just don’t know how to escape it.

No one writes novels about this: they’re too busy writing stuff about sexcapades of an early twenties woman discovering her kinky side with her jet-setter “how did he get so rich by his mid twenties anyway?” boyfriend.

Worst yet, Candy probably imagines herself as one of those women.

I see Candy standing at the big picture window, waving at me from half a level above me. Her orange and pink jacket scream, “I am the center of attention or I am nothing!” Her enormous pendant atop her petal pink blouse wreak confusion: power woman meet woman ready to conceive, or something like that.

Now that I’ve been spotted, there is no way I can go home. I smile and return the wave as I see Lisa join the scene at the window.

She looks exactly the same as the day I introduced her to Frank. You can’t see a single wrinkle nor any excess baggage from her three babies.

On the other hand I carry at least an extra forty pounds from my years with Mitch. Perhaps it is a pound for every month since the two of us have had a significant conversation.

I was still considering making an excuse when I heard the door open and Lisa’s voice call out to me. “Laura! I am so glad you are here!”

There is no escaping now. Damn.

Nice work, Julie! Stay tuned for my next prompt, I'm hoping by Sunday! Wish I could get my %$@# button to work!







 

3 comments:

Kelly Garriott Waite said...

well, I just picked up your book and my daughter took off with it. Hopefully, I'll get it before summer's over.

Lynn Proctor said...

i love it!

Libby said...

This is good. I feel as though I am talking with one of the neighbors over coffee. One of the cool neighbors who I actually like...

Popular Posts

Lightning Bug

onestop blog

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/WordNerdSpeaks/OSBW7.jpg